Over the course of this week, I have continued to explore
communities within the Literature Network forum. I spent some time reading
through threads pertaining specifically to authors who wrote during the Italian
and British Renaissances. I spent the majority of my time reading through posts
about the works of Dante, Petrarch, and Shakespeare. Members posed some very
thoughtful questions concerning the works of these famous Renaissances authors.
As I was reading through the threads concerning the works of
Shakespeare, I decided to respond to the following question: “What is the most
prevalent theme used by Shakespeare?” When I responded, a few members had
already weighed in with their opinions. I attempted to keep my response rather
simple. This was my response: “In my opinion, Shakespeare’s most dominant theme
is that of appearance vs. reality. This theme is evident in Macbeth, The Taming
of the Shrew, Hamlet, Twelfth Night, and many of his other works. It seems that
Shakespeare utilizes this theme to comment on specific elements of English
society, during the Elizabethan era, such as the relationship between men and
women, the division of social classes, and the consequences of mans pride.” I
posted this reply on Wednesday and have not received any responses so far, not
even from the member who initial posted the question, which surprised me.
Reading through the responses posted before mine, the
digital citizenship appeared to be pretty positive. What I noticed was that
posts seem to get a good deal of initial feedback, but after a few days the
responses seemed to dwindle. I am wondering if this is true of all posts or
only posts that do not raise controversy. My goal over the next week is going
to be to find a post that appears to be controversial and observe the dialogue
that is taking place in the thread. I am hoping to find some interesting
digital citizenship and a lengthier discussion.
It's exciting to see that your have began posting in your forum and that you did get some initial feedback. I have only posted once in my forum and received no response, I am also not sure if it was because I was trying to keep my opinions neutral. I think when you can get a rise out of people that's when I start noticing people responding back, but I'm not quite prepared to engage in controversial topics just yet. I hope to post and get some feedback in the next couple weeks. I also wonder, keeping my own forum in mind, if the topics are hot to respond to initially but then people end up moving on to different conversations. It's nice to hear that you are witnessing positive digital citizenship in your forum!
ReplyDeleteIt is so great to see that you received feedback for your post! Did people agree with you? I received only one response to my post so far, so it seems your forum is very active and inclusive to new members. I think it is a great idea to look into more controversial conversations. I think these types of dialogue are where you find examples of all types of digital citizenship, though I find it hard to believe that the intellectual individuals in your forum would stoop to negative digital citizenship.
ReplyDeleteI have also noticed that if you post something into a forum that most people agree with you are going to get very few responses. I guess this makes sense because if someone agrees with you there is little point is posting and saying, yep I agree good job. But if they disagree they are going to express their opinion
ReplyDelete