Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Week Seven


Over the past few days, I have spent some time observing conversation and digital citizenship in a number of different forum areas. During third quarter of this school year, I am going to be focusing on symbolism and Biblical allusions with my English 10 class as we read Lord of the Flies. I came across some really fascinating ideas about the Biblical allusions used in Lord of the Flies. I read through a long threaded discussion that was initiated by this simple question: “What do you consider the most significant Biblical allusion found in Golding’s novel?” I thought this was a bit of a strange question given the allegorical nature of the novel. There are many Biblical allusions and the story is deep rooted in symbolism. I don’t believe one Biblical allusion is necessarily more significant than another, but the question is posed in way that welcomes opinion. This was obvious as I read through the thread of responses. Members were voicing their opinions, but in a way that was respectful of the comments of others. I decided to respond to this initial question in hope that I would have a better experience than the last time I responded to a post. My response was this: “I am not sure that one Biblical allusion can be more significant than another because each one is so intricately woven into the story and serves a specific purpose. If I had to choose one Biblical allusion that seems to focus my attention on above the rest, I think I would choose the beast, which alludes to Satan in the book of Revelation. It seems significant that the beast, which is found within the boys themselves, alludes to Satan.” I decided to focus on the beast because the few members that commented before me seemed to be in agreement that “the lord of the flies” was the most significant Biblical allusion. I thought I would see if my post would draw attention since it was different than the others. I posted my response on Monday and no one has responded to it so far. I am interested to see if I receive any feedback and if that feedback will be positive or negative.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear you had a more positive experience this week in the forum and that you are seeing more positive digital citizenship in the post. I haven't read the novel in years so I don't have a strong opinion either way but I feel like what you posted on the thread was very sophisticated. I will be looking forward to see if anyone responds to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your analysis of Lord of the Flies. It will be interesting to see if you receive any responses since you proposed a new idea about this topic. It seems that in these forums it is important to stand out to draw feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty interesting take on Lord of the Flies. Similar to many stories there are allusions to the Bible but when I remember reading the book in high school I don't think I even picked up on that, and the school definitely didn't teach it that way.

    ReplyDelete